Monday, August 17, 2009

OCD Calendar - not so much OCD


I have a confession to make. There are days when my OCD tendencies take a break. When they take a step back and let me take a deep cleansing breath, re-charge my batteries and relax.

Today I had one of those days.


Many people comment on how my house is ALWAYS clean and organized. I have also been known to be called "Martha" a time or two. Only, I do not have a staff at hand to clean, create, and garden, at my will. And I have never "done any time" behind bars. And I don't have a hoity toity voice. I may not have a nice voice, but at least it's not hoity toity.


I also have another confession...I spend a great amount of time thinking of what needs to be cleaned and organized in my humble abode. If I am sitting and blogging on my laptop, at my kitchen counter top, I almost always end up looking up at the light fixture above and notice the dust build up or the greasy finger prints Conner left on the light bulbs. (that's right, Conner climbed on top of the counter and was trying to swing from the light fixture). Heck, just now I glanced over at my pantry and thought that my next OCD post should be about me cleaning and organizing my pantry.


I know. I'm a nut.

But I do know one thing... I am NOT as crazy as some of those OCD-ites documented on that show called "Obsessed" on the A&E channel. I feel better about myself, after watching what those poor people have endured.


President Monson once said in his conference talk, in October of 2008, "that we need to find joy in the journey".

He stated, "Be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will - to your surprise - miss them profoundly."


Today, according to my OCD calendar, I had planned on washing more walls in my basement and dusting and cleaning my pot shelf in my entry way. Instead I watched some educational tv with Conner, played outside with him, went to the store with Cody and Conner, and then we went to my brother -in- law's and his baby girl's birthday party.


I really don't think Cody and Conner would have noticed if I had cleaned the pot shelf and all of it's decorative items. But I do think they did notice me spending time with them!

Proof of my "non OCD" day.


Conner's McDonald's chicken nugget that he threw on the floor at lunch time. This picture was taken at 11:00 PM.

Dishes from the previous NIGHT. But yet, there are signs of my OCD cleaning tendencies.


This is my ceiling fan duster. It is wonderful! It extends and I just fit the blades of the fan in between the bristles. It spoke to me while I was shopping at Lowes one day. It feels my inner soul with peace. It's a good thing.

Okay, I slipped a little. Can't control all of my OCD tendencies.

5 comments:

  1. I know you're not hoity toity. But you are hilarious. And I LOVE the chicken on the floor!! That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're human! I knew it! I can't tell you the daily ache I feel that my house isn't 'just so' and that it's not 100% organized and just how I want it...will it ever be? Probably not. So I do what I can to keep my house warm and welcoming and clean for my family, while taking days off to spend with my boys who are growing up way too fast.

    Sigh, again my comment is too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the little things in life. All too soon they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! I have been trying to spend more time with Layne this summer too even if things do need to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a good mom. I have heard that quote a lot lately...and it's speaking to me too!

    BTW - I have to go get one of those ceiling fan cleaners now - too cool!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think... only if it compliments me and my, sometimes humorous, sometimes weird, sometimes creative, post! No meanies allowed!