Sunday, July 26, 2009

OCD Calendar - It's about friggin time!

I know what you're thinking. You are thinking it's about friggin time I did one of my OCD posts.
It's been a tough month. Tough being: technical difficulties with dumb lap top, family obligations, traveling (no where exciting), a bored soon-to-be 12 year old son, and an almost 2 year old son (which has me begging for mercy on a daily basis). Oh, and then there's the hubs. My dear, sweet, muscular, mustache wearing, hubs! If anyone has tips on how to get a husband to throw away a broken microwave, (that has been sitting in my laundry room for a month now), and a broken gas grill, an old, pathetic, hunter green, navy blue and burgundy plaid couch (it just screams it's from the era of 1998)-
please please, oh please, I'm begging you, I'm at my wit's end, pleeeeaaaaase..... tell me what I can do. Besides starting to pump weights on a daily basis and change genders. Which I am not willing to start donning an athlete's cup.
Any hoo..
Back to my OCD. While on my blogging hiatus I cleaned and organized my linen closet.
For some odd reason, the hubs believes the towels will be easier to retrieve if they are smashed into the closet. Same goes for the sheets. He's a genius, that man.
Every time I opened this closet it would give me gas. I mean it! Gas! Bottles and medicines were always being knocked over whenever a band aid was needed. Sheets would end up being a heap on the floor when I would go to grab a set.
See the top left pic. That little white jar/container is my hemorrhoid pads that the hospital sent home with me when I had Conner. Almost two years ago!!!!! Sheesh, get rid of them already!!! And the last time I checked, our family has been hemorrhoid free.

Here are the results of the "after". Sheets are no longer toppling on top of my head. There is no more digging through the closet for cleaning items. I am feeling free! It has brought me inner peace to my soul. Let us all chant now. "Hommmmmmmm."


In my quest for a more organized linen closet, I sought after some clever containers. I Y containers. (sigh)

In the picture on the left, I found these two baskets at Michael's. They were $20 for the two of them. They were on sale for 50% off! Gotta love a deal. I spray painted a couple pieces of thin wood with chalk board spray paint and I used a clip to hold them on place on the baskets.

Yeah, I'm good. I'm struttin' my stuff. Admit it... I'm a genius.

I use the flowered container to hold all of my folded wash cloths. Now I don't have to bug with trying to find a wash cloth or having them fall out of the closet.

And I love the container! I found this on a clearance rack at Target! I spoke to me as I was sauntering in and out of the aisles of the much beloved Target. It said, " Jen, you must purchase me. For I am attractive and will provide much organization for your wash cloths. Buy me Jen. Buy me."

And I did.

Along with my daily chores, I finally managed to finish painting my bedroom. You heard me right! It. Is. Done. Thanks to my friend and visiting teacher, Lori, for coming over! She kicked my butt into gear and we painted! Painted like the wind! I know you are all jealous that you don't have a vt that will help you paint.

I love the way my bedroom redo turned out! I will post the big reveal some time later this week!

But what does that have to do with my OCD calendar. Well, I'll tell ya. Conner has learned to open doors. (We are totally screwed). On the day that me and Lori finished painting, Conner managed to sneak in and turned over a small container containing paint, onto my carpet. Gasp!! And a few choice words were followed by the alarming gasp. Naughty words.

I knew that I shouldn't start scrubbing the carpet with a rag to try to clean it up. I quickly got a spoon and carefully scraped it up. Then I started to investigate on how to get paint out of carpet. Just call me detective Jen. This is what I ended up doing:

I kept a damp towel on top of the stain, to prevent it from drying. (You do NOT want it to dry!)

Then I soaked a rag with finger nail polish remover and started to work on the stain. I even poured the remover on the stain. This manage to lighten the stain quite a bit and it didn't bleach my carpet

Then I sprayed Windex right on top of the paint stain. In fact I didn't even use the Windex brand. I used the generic Walmart brand of window cleaner. I would let it sit for a few minutes then would scrub the carpet. Believe it or not, this almost took the entire stain out!

But you wanna know what did the trick? Oxy Clean Liquid Laundry Stain Remover. This stuff is magic! I sprayed it on the stain, let it sit for a few minutes and then would scrub the carpet with a damp rag.

With each cycle of finger nail polish remover, scrubbing, window cleaner, scrubbing, and Oxy Clean, scrubbing, I would take a few paper towels and placed them over the carpet stain and would stand on them to absorb any excess liquids.

I repeated this process approximately 5 times.

I'm telling ya people, I was relieved people. I was shocked that I actually was able to get a paint stain out of my carpet and even better, you can barely even tell that there was an unfortunate "paint mishap".

I have also had another carpet stain that was weighing heavy on my heart. Every time I entered my family room my eyes would zero in on the bright blue stain. It was buggin'!

Conner, again, (insert nervous laughter) tried to color my carpet with chalk. Bright blue chalk.

You would think that one would be able to just rub away a chalk stain, from carpet. Oh no! This has proven to be one of the most difficult stains that I have ever attempted to get rid of. Stupid chalk! Stupid stain!

So after the unfortunate paint incident, I decided to try the magical Oxy Clean stuff on it. And for the most part, it worked! You can still see some blue on the carpet, but it's far better than what it was before.

So there! Two of my most favorite things to do.... organizing and getting a stubborn stains out! Yes, I am a dork.
The rest of the week I plan on working on adding to my food storage, cleaning and organizing my bedroom closet and starting to wash the basement walls. I will begin by washing the walls surrounding my stairway. They have been abused by Conner chucking toys, clothing, food, and kitchen utensils down the stairs.
I'm not sure I will accomplish all these tasks, but as along as get one of these done, it will be bring me much needed relief!
Good luck on all of your cleaning and organizing tasks this week!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Wowie! You have been busy! I H-A-T-E-D it when Jacob learned how to open doors. I'm really feeling for you! Argh about the paint! Your closet looks AWESOME! I love Target too! So glad that the flowered box spoke to you, what a fun thing to have in your closet! It would make me smile every time I opened it. Can't wait to see your bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. You are awesome. My carpet might actually look better if paint spilled on it. And with chalk on it. Wait...I do have chalk on my carpet. I love the closet.

    You may motivate me to paint my family room soon. Really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love Conner? I love containers too, and especially love them even more when they are on sale!!

    I can't believe you got paint out of the carpet--I would have just said I needed new carpet ;)

    You make me smile--thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am no even lying when I say I want you to come organize my house! What is your going rate? Although, I fear that as soon as we got to work we would get to talking which would lead to laughing which would lead to no work getting done. Lame. And how I dreamed of painting like the wind with you!

    Snaps for getting the paint out! You are a magician!! That story should be on the news, seriously. I had a similar brilliant experience when my darling 2 year old (have we realized that they can never meet because they'll destroy the world in 0.8 seconds?) decided to draw all over my parents cream-colored walls with permanent marker? Choice words were spoken. Their walls had matte paint, so it has the feel and look of a chalkboard almost. You know what got it out? Toothpaste. Toothpaste and the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Lots of scrubbing, but it completely came out. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that my children are out of that stage. If I could just get Kassy to put away her make-up in the bathroom on her shelf it would truly be a miracle.. But miracles freeze before they get to Montana...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think... only if it compliments me and my, sometimes humorous, sometimes weird, sometimes creative, post! No meanies allowed!