Sunday, April 13, 2008

I am a horrible mother!

I am a horrible mother! Okay, I'm not the worst... but I feel like I am. Saturday we spent the afternoon watching Cody's soccer game, and by the way the Blue Rockets prevail! Conner was wearing a long sleeved shirt, a cute little hat, and was well protected from the elements. Or so I thought! Today in church I noticed a patch of bright pink on Conner's wrist and on the side of his face. "What's up with his arm?" I thought. I then flashed back to game and remembered Conner's chunky little arm creeped out of his blanket to play with a toy. I let my baby get sun burned. Oh the horror! I found myself guilt ridden and mortified with my actions. Call child protective services, report me to the Bishop, tell my visiting teachers so they can report me to the Relief Society President! How could I!


The damage is only on a small section of his wrist, cheek and the tip of his ear, but it might as well be a 2nd or 3rd degree burn on 60% of his little body! Yes I know he will never remember this incident and he's fine, but it's the realization that I couldn't protect him this one time and that this will not be the last. Being a mommy is so hard!

Conner in his protective gear from the elements, or so I thought!


notice the few inches of sun that is about to pierce the delicate skin of my baby



I actually have a picture of the moment the sun was causing ever-lasting damage to Conner's wrist!












The damage. Need I say more?










The look on his face says it all... thanks mom, I'm scarred for life.
(notice the way he is holding his arm!)



Nice action shot of Cody playing soccer. His team won 4 to zip and he scored a goal!




Steve coaching Cody's game. Last year Steve was Cody's coach, and the team was undefeated!












8 comments:

  1. Oh that is so sad. Your mother card should be revoked! Well, if that were really the case, we would all have to turn our cards over. He sure is cute, though. Great game action, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I don't mind if you look at my blog. The more the better, right? Your boys are darling! And no, you're not a horrible mother!!! It happens to the best of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny. I'm sure he is going to have odd twitching of his ear or wrist because of your carelessness!(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you would do such a thing to your sweet baby. I don't know if you remember but I fried Ty's whole head when he was a baby. Now he finally has hair I burn his ears and arms!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be really bad then, I can't remember how many times my kids got fried even with sunscreen on. Unfortunately Brock has my skin so even with 75 SPF we fry. Kassy and Alex tan for the most part. Kassy did get fried on Saturday watching the track meet but a bit of Aloe Vera and she's good to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooohh! I completely sympathize with you. The first time I took Jacob to the pool he hot burned a little, even WITH sunscreen on. I still think you are a great mom and I'm sure that he won't have lasting effects from the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that is nothing...
    I've seen some severe burns on some babies and I always tsk tsk the mom? But you? For the tiny rectangle of red? Nah. He'll survive and so will YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to congratulate Cody for his awesome goal and win. I love to watch soccer with the little guys. That's totally cool!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think... only if it compliments me and my, sometimes humorous, sometimes weird, sometimes creative, post! No meanies allowed!